I was putting dishes away one morning and as I was trying to shove my hand mixer's beaters into an already out of control drawer I decided enough already. Today is the day I organize these drawers once and for all.
Let me walk you down the before path. There lies a hot mess behind these two drawers that I use multiple times every day.
It's a cluster free for all. There is zero attempt at even organized chaos. Whatever drawer is less full at the time utensils get put away is the one it gets shoved into. Hopefully the drawer will close afterward.
My initial plan was to buy premade inserts, but after looking around online I knew I wasn't going to be happy. I knew they wouldn't fit the drawer properly and the slots would never be right. Then I came across this tutorial on Kevin & Amanda and it was like the Heavens opened and angels were singing. There it was, the most perfect solution! I ran over to my local home improvement store and got to work. You may have seen my story on Instagram about it a few days ago. A few hours later (damn drying time) I had this.
The left drawer now houses mostly baking utensils. The back is all open for larger bulky items. The thin long section towards the back has my narrow icing spatulas and a cake/pie server. Hand mixer beaters have their own spot next to the ice-cream scoop. The measuring cups and spoons each have their own space. And, I'll never loose my cookie dough scoops anymore now that they have a home.
The left side is mostly regular cooking utensils. The very back has some BBQ stuff that doesn't get used on the regular. Apple slicer and corer toward the back. Corncob zipper and peeler in one spot. Big spoons in another. I'm most excited about the larger, longer tools having spots so that now they can't lay on top of other junk and keep me from shutting the drawer. No more loosing the tongs and can opener now that they're up front.
I love that the wood looks like part of the drawer, which wasn't planned, just happened to work out. The best part of this project is that you can create any arrangement and size you want! And since the wood pieces are only glued to each other, not the drawer, you can pull it out to easily clean the drawer if needed.
I seriously cannot get over the difference!
PROJECT DETAILS: I spent $15 on the wood. I used the 1/4" x 4" poplar craft wood that's in the little cubbies underneath the regular sized pieces of wood near the bottom of the aisle. I had to do was cut down my lengths for the different sections. I ended up using regular wood glue since I couldn't get ahold of the glue they used in the tutorial. It worked well, just make sure you clamp it and wait for it to dry. Waiting is not a strength of mine, but it's worth it in the end.
Now to decide which drawer gets tackled next!