This is how the bed looked when we got it off Craigslist. Completely worn out. Looked like it may have been in a garage or barn for several years as the varnish and stain had seen some weathering. It was also missing the side rails. But basically, nothing a little sanding and paint can't fix!
PAINT - After sanding down and cleaning the bed I used my Critter paint sprayer to apply a coat of primer. By the way, that paint sprayer is the best purchase I have ever made. EVER. It's under $50 which just makes it all the more amazing in my book. With all of those spools it would have been a nightmare to do it by hand. I shudder at the reminder of painting my stair railings several years ago. Yuck! Ok, so after the primer cured, I used the paint sprayer to apply two coats of Sherwin-Williams Tricorn Black. You guys, it's a gorgeous black! I would describe it as a deep, creamy black.
| Sherwin-Williams |
| Home Bunch |
| Studio McGee |
| Studio McGee |
And if it's good enough for Studio McGee, best believe it's good enough for me ;)
DIY Bed Rails - Since the headboard and footboard didn't come with the rails, I had no way to attach the two together and hold a mattress. I wanted to share with you guys how we made our own rails so that if you ever come across a great antique bed without any, you would know what to do!
We used 1x8's to create our own rails and cut them to be about 5 inches longer than the length of the mattress for both sides. That way there would be enough room for tucking in sheets and blankets at the foot of the bed. Once cut they were primed and painted to match the bed. Then we added 2x2's along the inside of the new rails and screwed them into place. These 2x2's will be used to support plywood that will support the mattress.
Since our headboard and footboard have pins inside the legs to connect the rails, we used these bed claws I found on Amazon. They worked out perfectly!
Apparently I didn't get a photo of this next part :( To support the mattress, we put down pieces of plywood cut to the size of the bed and screwed them into the 2x2 support on the side rails. We did not use a box spring, so the mattress went directly on top of the plywood support.
And finally, for extra support, we added a couple of scrap 2x6's we had lying around to support the center of the bed on the underside of the plywood. One piece for the upper half of the bed (shown in the photo) and another for the lower half of the bed. I snapped this pic as I was tucking Sam into bed last night so forgive the really bad quality. It was a snap and run :D
Sam's bed is by far my favorite part of his room so far. I think these spooled beds are such a classic look. I'm so glad I didn't scare away from it since it didn't have all the parts!
SOURCES: bed claws // DIY moon art // IKEA hack nightstands // sconces // duvet and toss pillow - Homegoods // gray blanket // sheets sold out (similar here) // rug - purchased overseas // bed paint - SW Tricorn Black